Apr 30, 2007

In-laws

My in-laws visited us last night. I was stressed out since lately I don't want to hang out with them as often as we used to do. My father-in-law, who does not give a rat's ass for us, is infamous with his sharp and uncontrolled tongue. Basically, he says whatever he likes to regardless of the mood of and the relationship status with the other end.

They, my mother, father and sister-in-law came together. As soon as My FIL stepped in, he made kinda sarcastic remark on our puppy and grabbed the remote control after planting himself right in front of the TV. Aside from the greetings and a remark on a TV ad of our brand new car, we did not talk at all during their about 4 hour visit.

My MIL on the other hand acts exactly like a MIL. If she is not with her husband, she acts like a mom, but otherwise she acts like the way her husband appreciates; distant with a pinch of sarcasm mixed in.

Needless to say, I cannot bear this. I have been married with their precious daughter almost five years now, but they still are suspicious about me as if I were an ex-axe murderer on medication and therapy. They are very cautious so as to stop me before I lose control and grab my beloved axe to chop my wife.

The funny thing is they now understand that they have a daughter. Before that they had simply ignored her. Now, she is the most precious thing in the world to fight over to get her back. They have a younger daughter, my sister-in-law, to whom they behave like shit as well. When she too gets married then they will do the same shit again.

The main problem with their attitude is, since MIL admitted this fact two years or so ago, that they do not want to face the fact that years have passed and they aged, naturally. Inexplicably though, they blame me for the aging process. My MIL said one time that "I felt very old when you two got married". Since then, they have not overcome that fact yet and still blame us relentlessly.

This kind of bullshit leads to only one thing which is to miss all the fun moments of our lives. They missed their older daughter's years and now is the time for them to recapture those long gone moments - every time we get together they always reminisce the events happened 20 odd years ago. Unfortunately, while they tell the same childhood stories over and over again, I sit there silently and put a fake smile on my dull face. We do not do anything together me included in the conversation decently. We sit at the dinner table together, I take my role as an outcast, and stare blankly at the slide show passing in front of our eyes a millionth time.

I am sure, ten years from now, they will remember these boring days as the fondest years of their life. Poor them, they spend their life concerning constantly on their past and expecting a very bleak future when the moments paves its way right through our hands where it just slips through very quickly as well.

No comments: