Jan 10, 2007

Immune to bad news

Since I am jobless lately I have plenty of time to follow the news. Every morning I turn on the TV and settle in front of my mac and check the developments both live and online. Gradually I am amazed by my reaction to the news mainly coming from Iraq as well as around the world. Fist of all, the first news I hear or read is about Iraq informing how many people died at any given bomb attacks. Every god damn day I hear this shit. This is unbelievable how we all get used to seeing those bloody scenes and take them as if those were so normal, a daily part of life. We all say, well shit happens, people die everyday and as long as they die over there not here, it is ok. I don't think we truly understand how sad and overwhelming it is to lose a loved over a war or an accident anymore.

Last night, another sleepless night, I thought about the numbers; numbers of people killed in wars, accidents. To get the idea how devastating it is I decided to multiply the number of deaths with the number ten so as to amplify the effect of the lost ones on me. Imagine a situation where 30 people lost their lives due to an unfortunate plane crash, now multiply that 30 with 10 and get 300 people instead. My theory is every individual at least 10 people in their lives who wholeheartedly love that person who lost his/her life in an accident or war. So, that 10 people will directly be effected by one's loss. As a result, in a plane crash where 30 individual lose their lives will badly destroy 300 individuals' life in the end. Therefore, it is not something we can turn our backs to. We do not need to react to a situation only when thousands of people are killed due to any kind of ugly reason. 30 will do the trick; even one actually should be considered enough to react.

No comments: